Kanakeshwar situated on konkan drift close to Alibaug, is known for an ancient sanctuary of the Lord Shiva and its pleasing climate. Kanakeshwar forest comprises thick trees and dense wood, it is so thick that daylight can not pass through them and reach inside the forest. Sanctuary is built on a little hill which is about 12 kms from Alibaug.
How to reach
Shree Kshetra Kanakeshwar is situated on a hill near Mapgaon village, and its primary proper footway starts from the village. You can also reach kankeshwar through a footway from village Zirad/Ziradpada which is on the path to Mandwa. You can either travel through your own vehicle or book tickets for a public transport.
❖ By Road
One can reach village Mapgaon
From Mumbai you can travel on the NH-66, Mumbai-Goa highway (NH-66) till Wadkhal to reach Mapgaon and take the right division from Wadkhal and continue on NH-166A– the left division is the road to Goa. At Karlekhind, you need to take a right turn to enter Mapgaon. Regular bus transports are available between Mumbai to Mapgaon and Alibag to Mapgaon.
One can reach village Zirad/Ziradpada
At Karlekhind, you need to take a right turn to reach Kankeshwarphata, then take a right turn again at Kankeshwarphata and keep driving on Alibag- Revas Road till you reach village Zirad. You need to take right turn at Zirad to reach at Ziradpada. Regular bus run between Mumbai to Zirad and Alibag to Zirad.
❖ By Water
From Gateway of India, you can reach Zirad by ferry services via Mandwa. Auto rickshaw services are accessible from Zirad to Ziradpada.
❖ By Air
The nearest airport situated from kankeshwar is the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport which is about 110 km distant from Alibag.
There are 10 hotels and other accommodations available a few miles from Kankeshwar forest. U- Tropicana Alibaug is considered as one of the top choices for the stay. This 4-star hotel offers their guests a full-service spa and complimentary breakfast. It is located 3.3 km from Kankeshwar Temple.
❖ Things To See
- Kankeshwar is a beautiful place for sightseeing.
- Place is the best choice for trekking.
- You can plan a picnic with your family.
- Underi fort is a delight to watch.
- Khanderi fort is also nearby to amuse visitors.
- Mesmerising sight of Arabian sea will bless your eyes.
- Apart from famous temple of the Lord shiva in kanskeshwar, vyaghreshwar plateau and vyaghreshwar temple are also another must visit sites near kankeshwar.
❖ Things To Carry
- One must carry a 2 liter water Bottle while traveling.
- keep a camera, cell Phone, binoculars to capture the beautiful sights.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewellery as chances of theft is high.
- keep some pre-prepared food.
- It would be best if you keep an extra pair of clothes.
- Take good quality trekking shoes with you, you can carry an extra pair as well.
- First-aid kit is a must.
- A haversack bag to organize and carry all these things.