A North-south range of Sahyadri, turning from Igatpuri towards the eastern Thal Ghat, is called the ‘Kalsubai Range.’ It is divided into two parts: one being Alang, Madan, Kulang, and Kalsubai, and the other at the east is Aad, Patta, Aundh Bitangad, and the mountain of Mhasoba. Bitangad is located at the border of Ahmednagar and Nashik districts, and it is a bit inward to the Ghoti – Bhandardara road. It is a portion of the Kalsubai range.
How to reach
❖ By Road
From Pune, there are State Transport buses available to Igatpuri; the distance between Pune to Igatpuri is 240 kilometers; after reaching Igatpuri, go to Bhandardara by the Igatpuri-Ghoti using available buses. From Bhandardara go to taked phata, from there you can go to Ekdara village. Bitanwadi is 6 kilometers away from Ekdara village.
From Mumbai, take ST buses available to Igatpuri, the distance between Mumbai to Igatpuri is 121 kilometers, after reaching go to bhandardara para and follow the same route to get to Bitanwadi village.
❖ By Rail
Igatpuri junction is a central railway station in the district of Maharashtra. From lgatpuri, you can take jeeps and cabs to reach Bitandwadi village.
Accommodation facilities are not available on the fort. One can get good hotels and lodges in Bitangwadi or in the temple of Jatayu. Some of the popular places to stay near the fort are:
- Manas Resort at a distance of 6.7 km in lgatpuri. It has a Petting Zoo within the resort area.
- Rainforest Resort at a distance of 6 km in Igatpuri. The resort provides spa facilities.
- Vivaant Retreat and Conventions, which is about 5.9 km from the fort. This place is one the most visited homestay locations by travelers.
- You will find very few remains on the fort as its primary function was to act as a tower. However, this is a decent place for hiking and an overnight stay as it presents scenic views from the top.
- Another mesmerizing rugged peak is Kalsubai, and it offers incredible scenic beauty.
- Amruteshwar temple is an attraction for Hindus. It is a beautifully built temple.
- Adventure seekers can have another thrilling trek experience on Kulangadd Trek, which is not so far from the Bitangad trek.
- Ghatandevi Temple attracts a good number of tourists, situated not much far from Bitangad fort.
- You can visit Bhavali Dam, which is a few km from the fort.
- Myanmar Gate, vipassna center, and camel valley are must-visit locations if you plan to travel to the Bitangad trek.
- A good quality backpack with all inside stuff sealed in a Plastic Bag.
- You should carry a minimum of 3 Ltr. Water Bottles. This step is very compulsory.
- Keep extra pairs of dress and necessary morning Utilities.
- Do not forget to bring a plate, bowl, and spoon.
- Keep rainproof / sun cap / warm Wear as per current season.
- It is compulsory to keep a napkin and torch with an extra cell, and flashlight.
- Travelers are advised to keep energy drink such as gluconate – or electron according to their needs and can maintain body’s hydration.
- Good quality Shoes are needed to walk comfortably while trekking. It would be best to keep trekking shoes and not other footwear like floaters and sandals.
- You can keep floaters for the return journey on the bus.
- Travelers are advised to keep flexible and comfortable dresses like loose T-shirts, stretchy track pants. Do not keep half-pants.
- Any type of addiction like Liquor, tobacco, etc., is strictly prohibited in this place.
- Keep personal Medicines, toiletries, unique care products, and a first-aid kit.